Sunday, April 25, 2010

Rockets, Frogs & Fairies

I'm typing this with a poor sick Sebastian by my side. =( Not too sure what he picked up or where but it all began Friday morning around 10 a.m. when he vomited. He vomited once more before having a nap, only to wake up in time to grab the bucket, vomit and crash again. After waking we had one more incident of vomiting around 4 p.m. and by 7 p.m. he was just exhausted and in bed for the night. The next morning he ate breakfast just fine but wasn't hungry for the remainder of the day. I managed to convince him to get some crackers in him and that was followed by popcorn later in the afternoon, but other than that, he basically just sipped honey water all day.

This morning our lil' guy slept in until 8 a.m., which is unusual for him, and was asleep again by 10 a.m. so I knew he still wasn't better. He was complaining that his stomach was still hurting and was still refusing to eat so I attempted to persuade him with butterscotch pudding. When that didn't work I knew he was definitely unwell. Sure enough, we're lying on the couch watching Nascar (because it's on and it's like McQueen, not because we actually follow it) and sure enough, the vomiting starts again! UGH is an understatement at the moment.

However, prior to Friday we had been having a fabulous week so of course it was just too good to be true!

On Monday Sebastian and I, after our music class, spent the afternoon we explored our neighbourhood and spent some time playing at a playground off of Revell Dr, which both Sebastian and I really enjoyed. While there I spoke with another area mom who informed me of another playground in the area that I had not known about called either Dragonfly or Butterfly Park. It's nestled behind Bishop Mac Highschool, which is in walking distance from the house. I had been planning on going there Friday afternoon after gymnastics, but alas, this little sickness sidelined that plan for now.

Tuesday is car-free day as Jamie is at work, so we spent our morning making a rocket ship (and puppet show house) out of the box from our new bbq. We coloured it and pretended to explore many planets. The afternoon was spent once again at the nearby playground before exploring the marshy area near our house for frogs. On the weekend a man and his young child walked by with nets and I had inquired where they had been. Unknown to us, the little marshy area a few doors down from our house is filled with frogs! We could always hear the frogs at night but just assumed they were deeper in the woods. Anyways, there were frogs everywhere! I didn't take any pics as I didn't have my camera on me, but next time we go I definitely will. We also saw a large animal swimming in the water away from us that I was unable to identify. My initial thought was beaver, but chances are it was most likely a muskrat. However, I didn't get a good look so I will have to do so next time, if I ever see it again.

Flying to the moon!

Wednesday is also car-free day, so we walked to the library (well I walked, Sebastian was pulled in the wagon) and then explored the playground in the vicinity. There we met another group of kids and their Nanny who mentioned that they liked going to the "Frog Pond". When I asked where the frog pond was it ended up being that little marshy area a few doors down from our house! Have I mentioned lately how much I love our new home?? The fact that I don't have to travel far to get to nature nor do I have to spend money to give Sebastian such simple experiences really makes me happy. Seeing kids explore nature is one of the simplest pleasures in life (to me of course!).

Thursday was art class followed by a trek to the vets with our kitty Niles. After we dropped Niles back off at home we ventured to the local mall as I had to pick up a few items. I am definitely not a shopper and hate crowds, but the place was pretty empty so we spent some time just wandering around. Sebastian wanted a dress up costume and I ended up finding him a "fairy" outfit, as I like to call it complete with a wand, wings and a skirt! He absolutely loved it!

My little fairy!

And that brings us back to Friday... but I won't repeat that!

So we did have a wonderful week and I hope this upcoming week will be just as fun, provided Sebastian is on the mend of course! Hoping my lil' guy feels better soon.

No comments: