Monday, September 3, 2012

The Winds of Change

Tomorrow my little baby is starting grade one.

I am reminded what it felt like the first time I had to drop him off at daycare when I returned to work part-time shortly after his 1st birthday.  I am reminded of how nervous I was the first day I brought him to kindergarten and I worried if he ate his lunch, did he make some friends, did he cry, did he go pee, did he have fun....

I am nervous because he is taking the bus for the first time.  Is he going to know where to go?  Is he going to get on the right bus at the end of the school day?  Is he going to be okay?

Sebastian is super excited to start Grade One and I am so happy that he is happy but this marks such a milestone for us.  For the past 6 years I have managed to remain at home with him over 90% of the time.  I've been able to be here for every little milestone.  I have played countless games, I have danced many dances and I have played many roles.   I have watched Sebastian drawings change from lines scribbled on a page, to stick figures, to people with heads, necks, torso's, arms and legs.  I have watched Sebastian learn to throw a ball, kick and catch.   I have watched him develop a sense of humour and have watched him grow from the tiniest little soul to a little boy with the most wonderful soul.

Words cannot even express the gratitude I have for being able to have had this time with him.  I know Sebastian is going to absolutely love Grade One and I know that he'll love the bus and he won't get lost.  And I know come tomorrow those 'little apron strings' are going to be loosened just a tad bit more.

I hope come tomorrow when he sees my tears he will recognize them as tears of how proud I am of him.  I'm really going to miss my little sidekick but there are new adventures ahead and I can't wait to be that mommy waiting for their child at the bus stop.  Tomorrow we are starting a new chapter in our lives and as hard as it is going to be for me to accept this change I know that Sebastian is up for the challenge. 

Happy first day of Grade One Sebastian!

No comments: