Monday, May 19, 2008

20 Months!

Today marked Sebastian's 20th month since making his grand entrance into this world. To celebrate his Nonee and Papa took the trek in from Guelph and Papa took some time, with daddy's help, constructing a sandbox for Sebastian. The sandbox is beautiful...more so for the fact that Papa made it for him and I'm really looking forward to getting outside in the next few days (provided it warms up!) to get some playtime in!

(hanging out with the birthday girl)

Unfortunately Sebastian didn't get much of a chance to explore the empty sandbox and watch the construction as our lil' pumpkin has been sick with a fever since last night. He was fine yesterday during the day, having enjoyed a trip down to Fort Erie to celebrate Kassandra's 15th birthday, but after dinner he was so hot I knew he had a fever. Sure enough, he had a temperature of 102 degrees Fahrenheit. The fever lasted throughout the night, having gone down a few degrees by the morning and remained for most of the day today. Since he does not have any other symptoms and he's not able to tell us exactly what hurts we'll be making a trip to the doctor's tomorrow if the fever persists through the night as we have no clue what type of infection his body is trying to fight. Despite all this, he did manage to enjoy his 20 month birthday in style today and was in pretty good spirits.

(Sebastian's "I'm so proud of myself" smile)

Which of course leads me to what a 20 month old Sebastian is up to. He is now speaking in 3 word sentences, for example saying, "I want Tabs" (our cat) and he has now learned the word "mine", which he tends to enjoy using a lot, and the word "no". We were very proud of the fact that Sebastian didn't seem to be one of those kids whose favourite word was "no", however, I think it's now caught up to him. However, we can't complain too much because when Sebastian says no it actually seems to be in context, as opposed to just saying the word no for the sake of saying no. As for his vocabulary we can't keep up on all of the words he knows and speaks. I think I could confidently say that he knows "lots" as Jamie would say! We're giving a ballpark guesstimate of over 100 words at this point... it's to the point that he just knows too many words to actually keep count. Which means I won't be providing another update on his vocabulary again! =)

Sebastian has also begun to recall past events and talk about them. For example, he's begun to tell Jamie when he gets home from work, when asked, what he did during the day and today he continued to talk about Kassandra, Jack (their dog) and the ice cream cake he had yesterday! Sebastian is also remembering songs and singing them. Not word by word of course, but enough so that we can at least recognize what he's trying to sing! And last but definitely not least, Sebastian is now jumping/hopping, with his feet actually leaving the ground. This is a new trick for our boy and bouncing around the front room has now become a favourite past-time of ours. It's little things like this that remind me just how much we take for granted and seeing Sebastian accomplish this feat for the first time was so special. I'm always beautifully amazed at how the little things mean so much.

(wearing Nonee's glasses)

Well, that's my 20 month update... I hope everyone had a safe, enjoyable and warm long weekend!
Good night,
Kim

4 comments:

Kim said...

Great update...

But...



Can you please start doing an update for me too? I'm feeling a little left out.

Kim said...

Sure thing...but first you need to tell me how many months old you are. =)

Kim said...

380 months exactly!

now get on it! =)

Kim said...

Wow. You're old. I wouldn't know where to start! Ha! =)

(don't worry...I'm working on something)